Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day Twenty-One, May 11 & 12, 2015

Durango, Co to Page, AZ (acrophobia)


Please note Tom is afraid of heights.  I mean, I knew this but I did not understand how this fear manifests itself.  I did not realize that those affected by acrophobia are NUTS!!!  As we climbed Mesa Verde, CO Tom was irrational, yelling at me to slow down, grabbing my right arm, refusing to look at the view, screaming like a six year old girl, if I drove over 15 mph he almost solid his sacred jacket.  Nevertheless we saw Mesa Verde.

To visit this intersection of UT, CO, AZ, NM you now must pay the various Native American nations who live here $5.00 per person.  Just saying...ya gotta really wanna see this to make it worthwhile.  You have our permission to steal this image and claim you were there.

The Ancient Ones' cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde, CO.  Now this place is definitely worth the visit.







No where does the landscape change as drastically as around northern AZ.  One second you are driving through a Ponderosa Pine forest and the next you are in a lunar landscape.  The drive from Page to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon offers it all.

This is my 3rd visit to the Grand Canyon and Tom's first.  It is the only place I have ever been that is just as majestic and breathtaking on the 3rd visit as it was on the first.  It really is indescribable and pictures can't capture it all but here's our GC visit.









7 comments:

  1. I love that area, everyone should go there at least once in their lifetime.
    which makes me wonder - how many other places on this trip have been a first for either of you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First's for John= Huntsville, AL, Oyster Bay, NY, Outer Banks, NC, Birmingham, Al, Philadelphia, PA, Independence, KS, Page, AZ, Zion National Park, UT, Lumberton, NC, Paris, TX,
      First's for Tom= Hyde Park, NY, Oyster Bay, NY, Outer Banks, NC, Lumberton, NC, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, Huntsville, AL, Paris, TX, Page, AZ, Grand Canyon, AZ, Zion National Park, UT

      Delete
    2. cool, thank you. there's more than I thought. makes it even more special.

      Delete
  2. That IS beautiful and the scale is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are so right! It is impossible to describe the majesty of the Grand Canyon. Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok. tom keeps pushing for comments - of any kind - so I'll ask: what happened on the 11th that was so bad it got completely skipped over on this blog? please don't say it's a typo, I'd really like a good story to fill in that gap. (or as good as you can do, tom.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. The selfie stick is really working out for you guys.

    ReplyDelete